New Jersey Naturalization

Newark Domestic Violence and Immigration Attorney

The law firm of Thomas E. Moseley, in Newark, New Jersey, and New York, provides legal services to immigrants who have been abused by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse or parent. Contrary to what the abused immigrant spouse may have been told, the abusive spouse does not have ultimate control over immigration status. It is not necessary to stay with him/her or to remain married. Please seek shelter and consult with an experienced immigration attorney on your rights under the Violence Against Women Act, which is applicable to both women and men.

Call Thomas E. Moseley at 973-943-4602 or submit the online form to schedule an appointment. Our lawyer will discuss the facts of your case and your options under the law, and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to serving you and will provide individual attention and custom-tailored personal service.

It is important to know that you do not have to bargain away your rights to get abuser cooperation for immigration purposes. Our attorneys will interview the abused immigrant and educate her or him on her/his rights under the immigration law, and will assist in documenting the case before filing it with USCIS, where it is handled by specially trained officers. Police and hospital reports are helpful but are by no means the only way to document that you have suffered abuse at the hands of your spouse. You will provide your own testimony and any existing corroborating evidence. Abuse has many faces, not all physical.

Philadelphia Domestic Violence Lawyer

It is common for an immigrant victim of domestic violence to be fearful because his or her spouse has destroyed or has threatened to destroy immigration-related documents, has threatened that he or she will expose the unlawfully present immigrant to the immigration service, or say the marriage was not real. This threat at times falsely communicates that deportation would terminate the victim's relationship with his/her children through deportation. You need a skilled, knowledgeable immigration attorney to explore all possible immigration solutions with you.

We have successfully assisted a number of abused spouses and children. We take away the burden of organizing and presenting the VAWA or other case from the abused immigrant spouse while she or he works towards full recovery from the abuse. Immigration law outcomes are very case specific, hence the need to consult with an experienced and efficient immigration attorney who is familiar with domestic violence and how it affects your status.

Contact Our Firm

If you have questions about domestic violence and immigration concerns, contact Thomas E. Moseley at 973-943-4602 or fill out the online form on this website for a free, no-pressure initial case consultation. We will review your case and your options with their respective benefits and drawbacks, and we will discuss alternatives to the legal process that you may have.